At Sierra Pacific Industries, we understand our greatest strength is the people who choose to build a career with us.
What does it mean to be part of the Sierra Pacific family? It means you are a valued team member and part of a growing third-generation family-owned forest products company built on hard work, innovation, and wise investments.
With over 5,000 crew members in over 30 states, Sierra Pacific offers many opportunities for personal and professional growth; from entry-level to skilled trades, from truck drivers to sales managers, from foresters to engineers - for everyone! We invite you to learn more about our history, our 2 million acres of forestlands, and our state-of-the-art wood product and window manufacturing facilities at www.spi-ind.com/Home/AboutUs.
Our Forestry Division has an opening for a District Manager to manage 161,400 acres of Company timberlands in the Trinity County area of Northern California. This district is based in Weaverville and includes a staff of 5 foresters and on-site wildlife biologist and a reforestation specialist. The timberlands border the Trinity Alps and Trinity Lake in the north, include a variety of terrain and forest types, and are tributary to Company sawmills in Anderson and Shasta Lake City, CA. This position reports to the Coast Cascade Area Manager based in Anderson, CA.
About The Position
• Overall district management responsibility including a qualified forest management team, forestry and wildlife resources, road and watershed networks, and timberlands operations.
• Effectively balance issues associated with safe and sustainable forest management, commercial interests, community relations, and diversity across the landscape.
• Plan and implement programs that ensure the effective use of resources to meet the current and long term objectives of sustainable forest management.
• Plan, direct, and administer multiple use timberland management activities including silviculture, timber harvesting, fire protection, insect and disease protection, road maintenance and construction, facility upkeep, recreation, grazing, and watershed and environmental protection.
• Facilitate associated Company programs such as forest inventory, reforestation, and wildlife management.
• Represent the Company's interests while working directly with local, state, and federal regulatory agencies.
• Annually budget for district expenses and negotiate contracts to accomplish such activities.
• Maintain globally recognized forest sustainability certification.
• Participate actively in the local community as a representative of the Company.
• Strongly preferred to live in the general Weaverville area.
• BS in Forestry, or closely related discipline
• California Registered Professional Forester
• Extensive experience in California sustainable forest management and THP preparation as well as reforestation, harvest scheduling, contract negotiations and administration, and sustainable forest management
• Thorough working knowledge of local, State, and Federal political/regulatory processes
• Demonstrated skill in leadership, effective communication, motivation, and people management
• Proven ability to build collaborative working relationships within an organization
Why Join Our Team?
Because this is more than an invitation, it's a commitment to offer opportunities for personal and professional growth to everyone! We ask people to grow with us and make the company even better.
We provide an excellent benefit package including a full Health Benefits Plan with low cost premiums, a 401(k) with Company Match, additional Retirement Contributions, and company paid Life Insurance. In addition, for over 38 years, the Sierra Pacific Foundation has provided scholarships to help the children of our crew members with education expenses. Each year, we give an average of $500,000 in scholarships.
How To Apply
If you are qualified and would like to join our team, please send a cover letter referencing this position and a resume by February 22, 2019 to:
Sierra Pacific Industries
Paul Niemer, Human Resources
PO Box 496011
Redding, CA 96049
Sierra Pacific Industries is a third generation family-owned company based in Northern California. Sierra Pacific owns and sustainably manages nearly
2 million acres of timberland in California and Washington. We are growing forests for our future, planting over 6 million new trees every year. Our forests
are managed under a 100-year plan by Registered Professional Foresters, Wildlife Biologists, Botanists, and other professionals.
Sierra Pacific effectively utilizes nearly 100% of every piece of wood we bring to our mills. In fact, the small amount that isn’t turned into windows, millwork, lumber,
or landscaping material is actually converted into electricity in our seven biomass-fueled power plants.
As part of our safety in the workplace policy, an offer of employment is subject to a negative drug screen result. We are also proud that all Sierra Pacific facilities
follow our tobacco-free policy. We verify the social security number of all newly hired employees. Sierra Pacific is an
(EOE) Equal Opportunity Employer,
including those with a disability and veterans.
Hear from our valued SPI family, in their own words and through their own stories, what it's like to build a career at Sierra Pacific Industries.